Friday, August 20, 2010

India is not the land of Corruption

Its funny, but of late I am coming to the conclusion that  India is not the land of the corrupt as has been stated in the various magazines etc.. Its absolutely nonsense!!! I am making a very important point and I invite people to feel free to disagree with me. Because I am speaking from experience.You know, in my normal routine day to day travel to work and off it, I find people breaking the law and getting away with it, but heck, if I even think of it, , lightning and thunder accompany my very thought and I find I cannot even fudge a single document, give a guy wrong change, a torn note, lie.. nope just doesn't work. ... I GET CHECKED!!!.
And that's funny, cos,  This is India,right ?  the land of corruption and it should be okay right ? WRONG!!!

I think we were so unhappy when the British left, we decided to settle for Corruption !. I mean we just couldn't live without all that abuse ( If you go by what  the history books say) we just had to get something else to replace them. But now I am not so sure ; Either the Times of India and Mumbai Mirror is full of bull crap about the corruption because I have absolutely not been able to hoodwink anyone till now, embezzle funds etc, hide and get a new passport ...

Yet, everyday, I am faced with this invisible corruption monster who laughs at me because I am just soooo not smart. Beggars on the roads, begging bindaas right in front of a cop vehicle at Santacruz Station. Not one but ten. OK, ten persons smarter than me.

 Hawkers selling  clips earrings, brushes toothpaste,wallets what have you in a First class ladies bogey without a pass. They even let the guy enter inside and asked him to have a seat. I was the only one complaining.  You guessed right. I wasn't asked if I wanted a seat.

Slums coming up left, right ,centre some right under police chowky noses but hey,  if  I stand outside a shop they ask me to move on.Maybe they think I will open a Vada pav stall  while I just stand there?

The residential building we live in has a tailoring shop and a dentist working out of their homes for commercial purposes and guess what, after beginning talks for redevelopment with the Builder , they backed out at the last minute,citing some irrelevant details, and in the meantime legalized their practices ,for a fee ,of course. How they got the society consent is a mystery and whose signatures have been forged, Heaven knows; But hey everything is legal. Corruption? Nah! Just perfectly  inconvenient to a bunch of the rest of the members who now have to run around and fix things in the perfectly legal way.

How the terrorists got fake passports is a mystery to me. I went for a reissue and they scrutinized each and every word. I was standing in line from 8.00 am in the morning outside the Passport Office and was there till 12.30 am by which time I was asked to get the correct documents.
 I go .."Sorry? I have the documents". "Maybe you didn't check properly"
Clerk : "Sahi paper leke ao".

Haan!Haan Bhai Haan!

 I am glad somethings are the way they should be. Jai Hind!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment